Passover, or Pesach, begins on the 15th of the Hebrew month of Nisan. Opportunities exist to present these flowers lining the entranceways into the home, on the Seder table, in clay pots and wicker baskets, and even on tea plates.
The traditional flowers to use as part of your Passover celebration are the Seder spring flowers:
- Cherry Blossoms
Passover is all about spreading happiness, after all. It represents the freedom of the Hebrew people from slavery to the Egyptians. Choose flowers associated with happy occasions, in vibrant colorful arrangements to help commemorate the joyousness of that liberation.
The centerpiece of the table is essential for many families when it comes to celebrating Passover. Traditional families may choose a variety of flowers in shades of blue while other families may opt for brighter colors.
The flowers are largely symbolic however and the key is to represent the happiness of the occasion. Choose flowers that reflect that joy to the people who are sharing your Passover table.
Presenting Your Passover Flowers
Flowers are an important part of the Passover celebration. There’s no denying that. However, there are no hard and fast rules about how to arrange the flowers for your celebration. Consider these tips:
- Fill glass votive holders with baby’s breath flowers.
- Arrange terra cotta pots filled with sunflowers in the center of your table.
- Welcome guests to your home with a garland of spring flowers on your doorstep.
- Line the entryway to your home with lilies.
- Place a small vase with purple orchids at every place setting for guests to enjoy seeing during the meal and take home with them afterward.
- Arrange a mixture of candles and floral arrangements throughout your table.
- Place hydrangea plants in decorative pots on your table (great for less formal Seder tables).
- Tuck a small flower into cloth napkins for each guest.
You can mix and match ideas to find what works best for the level of formality you’d like to add to the occasion and the customs and traditions of your family. Don’t forget to add a little something special for the children at the table who might enjoy playing with some flowers of their own.
However you decide to present your Passover flowers, don’t forget to visit Central Square Florist for the freshest selection of beautiful flowers for this joyous occasion.